Lane Bryant

Sunday, September 15, 2013

An Open Letter to Target...

Dear Target-

As I sit here at 3 AM in front of my computer simultaneously refreshing your website and hashtag stalking Twitter on my iPhone, I wonder, why do none of the designer collaborations come in plus size? I know that their normal designs may not, but why not partner with designers that are willing to include something for all of your patrons? In some of the bigger collaborations like Missoni & Neiman Marcus there were things for the home, men, kids, pets, even sporting goods, but nothing for plus sized women.  At best, something may come in XXL or a size 16 that fits like a 12, but what about the rest of us? As I'm reading tweets & viewing Instagram posts from the curvy community, we are reduced to shopping for what we deem to be "plus friendly" because there is truly nothing other than accessories for us.

I can appreciate the fact that you have made some efforts by expanding your juniors Xhilaration line to plus sizes and have the "somewhat" fashionable Pure Energy line, but I guess if you have never been fat, then you wouldn't understand what it feels like to be reduced to shopping 17 pieces of ill-fitting clothing that are crammed at the back of the store between maternity and menswear. There are millions of us out there screaming for more fashion forward plus size pieces!

Despite the lack of clothing for us, we still patronize you. Sure we could lose weight, but why should we have to change who we are? What if the roles were reversed and all clothing were only made for plus size people? Sure, I would be happy, but my straight sized sisters would be in the same position I am.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that if brands like QVC and HSN can offer designer collaborations in plus sizes, why can't Target? The market is there. If you don't know how to approach it, why not reach out to us plus size fashion bloggers who understand what aesthetic works on a fuller body?

This letter is not meant to be controversial.  I'm not going to boycott Target because there are not enough fat clothes.  I'm not trying to change the world, I simply want to raise awareness that plus size women wear fashionable clothes and shop at Target with the hopes that you will offer something better for us. 


Respectfully-

Parker Simmons

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE the fact that you were willing to voice your opinion openly! Although, I may not be able to fully relate I can truly respect your honesty & Thank you for sharing your open & honest opinion as I'm sure u r not along! Great post & well written.

    Xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! I'm not mad at Target, I just would like some better choices. My mom always says you have not because you ask not, so I'm asking! Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  2. I think this is a great letter. Everyone should have great design choices bit just one group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine. Better choices is all i'm asking for.

      Delete
  3. So true this letter expresses everything I felt about this collaboration and others. Target can do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I know we are not the only ones that feel this way, I only hope that one day we don't have to write these types of letters. Maybe one day, Target will get it!

      Delete
  4. Very well said, honest and open. Great letter Parker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preach! I was totally disappointed this morning when I visited my local Target store that I decided not to buy anything. I agree, it isn't a monumental task to design and manufacture plus size clothing so I don't understand the exclusion of the plus size market. I hope Target and the fashion community is listening!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems pretty basic right?

    A company who has a large and varied demographic serving ALL of their customers but as we know all too well, this is very rarely the case and boo on them.



    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just telling MissFoodieFab that I was upset that a lot of Curvy IG pages where saying how "you can squeeze into it" if you're a 18 or whatever. Well not upset with them but just upset that target should know better. I don't expect them to go up to like a 28 and hell maybe they should but they could give us a break and make some of those pieces like a sweater or knit skirt in our size. While I'm trying my best to lose weight I still want to dress cute now. I hate it, and I'm not gonna boycott them because I do love the stuff they make is XXL but even their 18 fits like a 14. They need to get it together.

    ReplyDelete